In this episode, I interview Cara McNulty, DPA, President, Aetna Behavioral Health, a CVS Health Company. As a population health scientist, Cara is particularly passionate about our adolescents, teens, and young adults, supporting and advocating for them, and educating people of all ages on the importance of mental health well-being. Mental well-being is at the core of our health; separating physical from mental health only increases stigma.
Cara and I discuss:
* Suicide prevention and dispelling the myth that talking about suicide with your kids increases the risk. The reality is talking about suicide REDUCES the risk – having open conversations helps our adolescents/teens/young adults feel heard.
* Asking hard questions takes practice, but it doesn’t need to be perfect. Remember to embrace the messiness!
* The importance of educating ourselves on mental health wellbeing.
“Without mental health well-being, physical health is impaired.”
Resources from this episode:
* The Youth Risk Behavior Survey
* Mental Health Awareness Guide for Parents and Caregivers (Aetna/CVS Health)
* Suicide Prevention (CVS Health)
* Mental Health Awareness Guide for Young Adults (Aetna/CVS Health)
SPECIAL SPONSOR OF THIS EPISODE: THERAPPY
Download and try it for free today! Using the Cognitive Behavioral approach, Therappy teaches healthy coping tools for anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, and so much more. You learn to understand your behavioral patterns and change them in a healthier way!
Do you LOVE Just Breathe? Receive new episodes as soon as they launch, as well as Heather’s monthly newsletter Small Exhales and other fabulous resources by:
Remember that you are not alone on this journey!