040 – This episode is a fascinating, eye-opening, and much-needed educational interview with Dr. David Huebner. Dr. Huebner is a clinical psychologist by training, and currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Prevention and Community Health at George Washington University (GWU), as well as the Co-Director of the Social and Behavioral Sciences Core at the Washington, DC Center for AIDS Research. His research examines how discrimination from families, schools, and communities impacts HIV risk and other health outcomes among sexual minority adolescents and young adults. Recently he has been working to design and evaluate interventions to support parents of LGBT youth, with the goal of helping parents improve their children’s health and well-being. Dr. Huebner is also committed to supporting community organizations’ efforts to engage in evidence-based practices – he has served on several local and regional HIV prevention community planning groups and was the Chair of the National Board of Directors for the Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network (GLSEN.
"They are learning about sex every day. Do you want to be one of the voices in that conversation?" This is just one of the powerful questions Heather and Dr. Huebner discuss. He also shares:
* An in-depth education about HIV and how to prevent it.
* The four "buckets" of sexual information parents should discuss with all of their kids regardless of sexual orientation.
* What we need to share with our gay and bisexual boys specifically.
* Why we need to strike "THE TALK" from our parenting repertoire.
This interview is a very open discussion with LOTS of details! In fact, a portion was so detailed that Heather and Dr. Huebner decided to save it for bonus education. Stay tuned for how you can access it!
Click HERE for Heather's Coming Out Process Cheat Sheet!
Contact Heather directly at email@example.com
Do you LOVE Just Breathe? Receive new episodes as soon as they launch, as well as Heather's monthly newsletter Small Exhales and other fabulous resources by:
- Signing up for her email list HERE
- Sharing your feedback HERE
- Remember you can review Just Breathe on your listening app of choice OR you can Review Just Breathe HERE
- Refer friends and family for awesome rewards HERE
- NEW!! Do you want to help spread awareness and let others know they are not alone? Order Heather's new t-shirt HERE!
- Connecting through Instagram and Facebook (@chrysalismama) and Twitter (@chrysalismama1)
- Bookmarking her website as your go-to for LGBTQ education!
Remember that you are not alone on this journey!
Support the show (https://paypal.me/ChrysalisMama?locale.x=en_US)