042 – In this episode, Heather interviews Trystan Reese, author of the brand new memoir, How We Do Family. Trystan is redefining the idea of family. His memoir covers so many important issues, from trans pregnancy to adoption to LGBTQ parenting. More, it does so in such an inspiring—yet relatable—tone. Trystan’s voice shines through in the best way as he shares his story and lessons applicable to every family.
Trystan and Heather discuss the value of "doing the work." Using Brene Brown's wisdom, "If my healing is dependent on your response to my story, I'm not ready to tell my story," Trystan shares the difference in doing work from a scar or from a wound. Simple yet profound.
He has beautiful thoughts on allyship: "What allyship encourages us to do is to broaden the lens, is to use the power of empathy to see the world through other peoples' eyes and to be open and to be curious and to be humble; to hopefully move into seeing that we are all so deeply and profoundly interconnected to each other.
Trystan's book, How We Do Family, is truly a must-read! Written in such a relatable way, you will finish it with a deeper understanding of the trans experience specifically as well as a greater empathy for all who are in the LGBTQ community in general.
Only 15 days left to tag Heather on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter @JustBreathePride2021 for a chance to win this adorable Pride basket!
Click HERE for Heather's Coming Out Process Cheat Sheet!
Contact Heather directly at email@example.com
Do you LOVE Just Breathe? Receive new episodes as soon as they launch, as well as Heather's monthly newsletter Small Exhales and other fabulous resources by:
- Signing up for her email list HERE
- Sharing your feedback HERE
- Remember you can review Just Breathe on your listening app of choice OR you can Review Just Breathe HERE
- Refer friends and family for awesome rewards HERE
- NEW!! Do you want to help spread awareness and let others know they are not alone? Order Heather's new t-shirt(or sweatshirt or mug!) HERE!
- Connecting through Instagram and Facebook (@chrysalismama) and Twitter (@chrysalismama1)
- Bookmarking her website as your go-to for LGBTQ education!
Remember that you are not alone on this journey!
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/HeatherHester)